Saturday, 12 May 2012

At the Back

Like many crafters out there, I've been enjoying displaying my embroidery efforts in the same hoop I used for the stitching. I'm sure there are lots of ways to finish off the back, but this is how I do it to give mine a neat, handmade finish ... just in case it's of use to anyone out there in the blog ether. [The embroidery I'm demonstrating with here is one I did last week for the baptism of a friend's little boy]
What you need ...

  • Your finished embroidery & hoop
  • Co-ordinated embroidery floss
  • Co-ordinated ribbon
  • Backing fabric
  • Pinking shears
  • A pencil
  • Needle

one. Place your hoop on top of your embroidery and backing fabric. Use a pencil to draw a circle round the outside, about 1 inch from the outside edge of the hoop.
two. Use pinking shears to cut round this line - pinked edges won't fray as badly as straight cut
three. Place your embroidery circle right side down, place your backing fabric right side up on top, then pop the inner ring of your hoop on top of the two layers of fabric.
four. Now squish the whole thing into the outer hoop and tighten, pulling your fabric taut
five. Take your embroidery floss and stitch up through from the backing fabric side - this will mean your knot is hidden underneath when you're done.
six. Sew a running stitch all the way around the flap of fabric that is now sticking out the back of your hoop.
seven. When you get back to where you started, pull the floss taut which should bring all the flap in, and tie off.
eight. If you want to add a loop and bow, I usually do this by cheating and using two bits of ribbon. First, I tie a loop of ribbon round and hide the knot at the back of the screw.
nine. Then I use a second piece of ribbon and tie a bow round, which will also keep the loop in place and hide the knot away at the back. Voila. Easy peasy.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!
    I just finished one of my project with your techique and the result is simply lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can actually take a look at it here:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/152489137353637515/

    Didn't have pinking shears though! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias por compartir tan lindo trabajo!

    ReplyDelete