Sunday, 30 October 2011

Saturday Sewing

We had a lovely lazy Saturday, just the three of us at home, thankfully not galavanting around the country for once. Our Saturday was made of ... lounging around in bed eating toast and reading stories to Baby Biddle, a stroll around town and buying yummy food at the Green Park Station Farmer's Market, bacon butties from a food stand, watching Mr B dance round the kitchen to Basement Jaxx making Baby B shriek with laughter, reading the Saturday Guardian, and watching Strictly (come on Scott - do it for Charlene). And I managed to fit in a bit of sewing and finish this top that I've made for myself.

I never do sewing for myself - I normally make things for our home or as gifts - so it's been quite a rare treat to try this free Sorbetto pattern by Colette. I've bought a couple of Colette patterns from Backstitch which I haven't got round to doing yet, so I thought I'd start with this simple top to try their instructions. Here's how it turned out.
I used this gorgeous Feedsack daisy material by Sara Morgan for Blue Hill which I bought from Country Threads in Bath. I love love love the faded American 30s print. I'd only bought one metre and the instructions said I needed one and a half yards for my size. But one metre was fine - I just cut out two panels for the back instead of cutting on the fold, and this worked out well as I could then adjust the sizing by taking a section out of the back to make the top smaller and more fitted. The only other adjustment I made was to make the arm holes smaller under the arms. I think this pattern was designed for ladies with a bigger bust, and despite mine being larger at the moment due to nursing, it still gaped a bit! Finally I added three mismatching white buttons to break up the dense pattern. The top is getting its first outing today and is already nicely damp with baby drool and posset!

2 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous, I love the fabric. Looking forward to seeing your other Colette patterns made up. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab top. My mum has used that fabric (or maybe a slightly different colour combo) in the quilt she's making for Bub. Love it. xx

    ReplyDelete