The rhubarb in our garden is still going strong - it's been producing delicious sour fruit since the Spring and way before the arrival of the little one. We enjoyed some stewed with ice cream on our return home from Cambridge on Thursday night.
- About 400g cooking apples
- 225g butter
- 280g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Demerara Sugar for sprinkling on top
- Juice of a lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 180c/GM4. Butter and base line a baking tin.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Squeeze the lemon juice over to stop them turning brown and pop on one side.
- Mix together all the other ingredients until smooth (except the Demerara Sugar)
- Spread half the mixture on the base of the tin. Arrange half the apples on top of this.
- Spread the other half of the mixture on top of the first apple layer, then arrange the other half of the apples on the very top. You will have four layers in total - mixture, apples, mixture, apples.
- Sprinkle Demerara Sugar over the top.
- Bake for around 45mins until golden and springy.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins, then turn out. Cut into bars or squares.