Tuesday, 12 July 2011

A Wedding Quilt

Mr B's fabulous best friend Mr Baird got married a year ago to the loveliest of lasses and their wedding was the most wonderful two day affair. After a beautiful service in an old English church (during which Mr B sang Nick Drake's Northern Sky) the vintage-inspired reception took place in magnificent teepees with a roaring fire and some of the most stylish decorations I've ever seen. This picture doesn't do it justice but you can just see the flowers of whites, blues and thistles, the over sized circular balloons, the sheepskin rugs and the pretty pale blue and white lace bridesmaid dresses.


The next day, the teepee tables were re-set for a relaxed buffet lunch with live jazz and guests lounging on cushions in the sunshine. It felt like being a character in The Great Gatsby, especially with the groom now dressed in a pale blue pinstripe suit with floral Liberty print bow tie and the bride in a gorgeous coral coloured jumpsuit.


So for the first anniversary of Mr and Mrs Baird I created a quilt inspired by their wedding, from fabrics of blues and corals. I decided to try a more elaborate design than I've attempted before which took some fathoming and mathematical planning.


I absolutely LOVE the fabrics that went into this quilt, with this Kokka Fairground from Fancy Moon my favourite. I also adore the Liberty floral print from the V&A shop. Here's how the quilt came together.


I made most of the quilt pre-baby and finished hand stitching the binding after his arrival during a nap. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a decent picture of the whole thing before giving it to the happy couple but these should give you an idea of how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment