Friday, 22 April 2011

Niddle Knee

I haven't properly embroidered anything since I used to do cross stitch on pieces of pink binca as a pre-pubescent. But having recently been given lots of beautiful examples of the craft from various relatives, along with the bag of embroidery threads and rings from my Great Grandmother (which I blogged about last year), I thought it was about time I had a go.

I used the event of my Mother-in-Law's 60th birthday as a good excuse to make a stab at embroidery. Ma Biddle is excellent at 'Niddle Knee' - this is what my Mr Biddle used to called needle work when he was a child and learning to speak!

Mr Biddle chose a beautiful quote by John Donne that he knew his Ma would love. Then I arranged and printed it out from the computer onto A4 paper.


Next, I used tailors chalk pencils to copy the quote onto grease proof paper - doing the front, then going over the back, then over the front again so the lettering printed faintly onto the fabric.


Then the stitching began, using a ring to hold the fabric taut. I used small back stitch for the majority of the piece, adding a little chain stitch in pink around the border. Youtube is superb for stitch tutorials.


Finally I made the embroidery up into a cushion, with a pale blue polka dot backing. My only regret is that I will make sure to use thicker fabric in the future so that the threads on the underneath don't show through so much. But overall, I'm proud of my first efforts and I think I'll have another go very soon. And Ma Biddle loved her handmade gift.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, what a nice idea for an embroidered gift! I'm trying to improve my embroidery skills without much success.

    ReplyDelete