Monday, 31 January 2011

Family Threads

Over the weekend, we joined the rest of the Biddle clan to celebrate Cousin Biddle's 30th birthday. Whilst there, Aunt Biddle opened up a big drawer full of the most gorgeous table linens covered in hand embroidery. All of them had been sewn many years ago by Great Aunt Biddle and Great Grandma Biddle. I was in heaven. I felt very honoured to be asked to choose a selection to take home with me - a lovely little recognition of having become part of a new family.


The craftsmanship is exquisite and with most of the pieces, you can barely tell which side was the front and which was the back. I think the embroidery of flowers above is amazing - the colours are so bold, bright and surprising for something sewn a long time ago. I'm going to turn this into a small cushion for another Cousin Biddle.


These doilies for dressing tables and coasters are so dainty. The coasters will make lovely pockets for summer dresses and blouses, and the larger ones will make pretty, decorative pillows for guest beds.


The simplicity of cross stitch looks fantastic on these handkerchiefs - about time I bought some binca and started practising. I loved cross stitch as a little girl.


This tablecloth, again beautifully hand embroidered, has such a gorgeous lace edging with little hidden pockets in the corners, perfect to place coins in and weight it down on a picnic table. I'll be using this for summer parties.


And finally a lovely edge to one end of a simple piece of large white cotton - I'll be putting this away for now with plans to create a roller blind from it when we have a suitable window!

No comments:

Post a Comment