Monday, 15 November 2010

Mrs Biddle's Brownies

Apologies that I've been off radar for a little while. Me and Mr B have spent the last three weeks in a flurry of packing and lifting and unpacking as we've moved to the beautiful city of Bath. Our internet has finally reconnected today so I'll be blogging more about the vintage and homemade delights of Bath in the future.

Today I thought I'd share with you my absolute all time favourite Brownie recipe which has been a huge hit over the the last couple of years. I first found this recipe in a 'Baking with Kids' supplement that came free with The Observer and it's fab.


INGREDIENTS:

(this recipe makes about 8 or 9 good size brownies but I often double the mixture)
100g plain chocolate
2 large eggs
125g softened butter
275g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
50g self-raising flour
25g plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
punnet of raspberries

20cm square cake tin or similar

METHOD


  • Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/GM4
  • Oil the tin and line the bottom with grease proof paper
  • Melt the chocolate
  • Place the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a large mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
  • Sift in both types of flour and the cocoa powder. Add the melted chocolate and stir until mixed well.
  • Pour the mixture into the tin and smooth the top. 
  • Press as many raspberries as you like into the mixture at regular intervals.
  • Bake for about 35 minutes until they have risen slightly and a crust has formed on top, but they will still be soft in the middle.
  • Leave in the tin for about 20minutes to cool. Then cut into squares.



The Brownies come out with a crisp top and a squidgy centre which is my ideal texture. And I've added my own personal touch by putting raspberries in them. Ever since I was tiny, I've loved raspberries and I think they add a great bite to counteract the hefty amounts of sugar! I often like to serve the Brownies for dessert with a dollop of creme fraiche and some fresh raspberries. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment