Monday, 13 September 2010

Treasures from the loft

A passion for sewing isn't a new thing in my family. When we were babies, my Mum set up a business sewing canoeing equipment and used to cut patterns and (waterproof) fabric at our kitchen table. My Nan was a super knitter. And then there's my Great Grandmother Dora who was a master embroiderer.

On a recent trip up North, inspired by my renewed passion for sewing, I ventured up into the loft. There, I found a treasure trove of Dora's old embroidery equipment. Sometimes, the furthest you need to go for vintage finds and inspiration is your own family home. I discovered an old embroidery ring and lots of pretty boxes filled with ...


... an old embroidery book and pastel colour bias bindings ...


... needles still threaded with the ends of thread and beautifully coloured embroidery silks (which I spent a night in front of the telly with Mr Biddle unravelling and sorting) ...


... a brown paper bag filled with dainty, lace-edged handkerchiefs and pieces of crochet ...


... a silk baby bib which must be almost 100 years old ...


... a tin full of hooks and fasteners with fabulous retro packaging ...


... and a pretty soap box filled with lengths of lace and ribbon.

Now I have to scrub up on some embroidery skills on you tube and get cracking with an embroidery project to make Dora proud and put these gorgeous vintage finds to use.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful finds, so very precious! Love the vintage wedding theme going on. Keep up the good work.

    Fi x

    ReplyDelete